Tidbits of History
The oldest remaining District Number 1 School building was part of a 2 building complex. The 1889 building was the larger of the 2 structures until after the turn of the century when the original single level building (constructed in 1884) underwent two enlargements (adding a second story and a wing). Both buildings were used as schools until 1919 when the Academy Street School was put into use.
When no longer needed for school use, the Masonic Lodge took over the building as their meeting house until 1921.
In 1921 the building was converted into a single family residence and later converted into a 2 flat.
The building, in line to be razed, was moved to its current location in 2002 to be restored as a vital piece of Mount Horeb history.
Mount Horeb Historic Structures depicted in new brochure...... MHLF received a grant to produce a Walking Tour Brochure of Mount Horeb's historical downtown area. Special thanks are extended to the MH Area Historical Society and Laurie Boyden for their assistance in making this piece become a reality. (click on above link to view brochure)
About the District Number 1 School
The MHLF is currently working toward completing the restoration and preservation of the oldest remaining school building in Mount Horeb.
The District Number 1 School was moved from its original site on Main Street to North Second Street and is the oldest remaining school building in Mount Horeb. The School was originally one of two school buildings on the west side of Mount Horeb and housed grades one through eight. The school was built between 1884 and 1889. When the Academy Street school opened in 1919 the West Main Street schools were no longer needed.
The school is an important landmark in the community and the restoration of the school house will serve the community in many ways. By preserving the school building in a location near downtown it will serve as a connection to the rich heritage of our village, keeping alive what has been done to build this community.
A village park was planned for this North Second Street site. Now, the building is the focal point of Heritage Park and Gardens, a welcoming green area just off Main Street. The first floor of the building which is about 1,000 square feet, will have an exhibit to memorialize the one-room schools and honor the educators who taught in the schools.
The building is now available to local groups for displays, shows, meetings or other community events. Contact Chuck Misky (608-437-5823) for details and availability.